The first seminary established by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, Princeton opened its doors in 1812 with fewer than a dozen students under its first professor, Archibald Alexander, for whom Alexander Hall is named. Alexander Hall was completed in 1817, and was the original seminary building, serving as classroom space, the chapel, the library, the dining hall, and the dormitory. Today it is a dormitory, although students continue to use the old chapel, the Oratory, as a place for prayer.
Today Miller Chapel, built in 1834 and recently renovated, is the heart of the campus and welcomes students for daily worship and special services. The Seminary’s main classroom building is Stuart Hall, built in 1876 and recently renovated to include a computer resource center and media equipment. Students eat together at the Mackay Campus Center, and study in Speer and Luce Libraries, built in 1957 and 1994 respectively.