Print PagePTS CalendarsPTS on FacebookPTS on LinkedInPTS on TwitterPTS on Pinterest

home  |  pts community  |  blackboard  |  webmail  |  search pts  |  wineskin

Bicentennial Graphic Header 1

              

 
 
  1812-1861       1862-1911       1912-1961         1962-1999      2000-2012  
 |   

A Princeton Seminary Timeline 1862-1911

stuart_facade_150w.jpg

1862-1867

Semi-Centennial Fund. Robert L. Stuart and his brother Alexander Stuart contribute $50,000.


 

1864

Brown Hall donated as a residence hall by Mrs. Isabella Brown of Baltimore, the only building of significant size to be built in Princeton during the Civil War. Mrs. Brown was impressed by the Seminary’s hospitality toward Confederate prisoners of war who were allowed to enroll as students.


 

1869

Reunion of Old and New School Presbyterians in the North. Powers of Directors and Trustees of the Seminary increased by General Assembly.


 

1870

A chair in Christian ethics and apologetics is established by Stephen Colwell, a lawyer and iron manufacturer who was a Trustee of the Seminary from 1859 until 1900. A layman, Stephen Colwell had written extensively urging Christian concern in the face of the economic dislocations created by the industrialization of the American economy, and this chair is believed the first dedicated in an American seminary specifically to address the social implications of Christianity. It is currently held by Professor Nancy Duff.


 

1872

Semi-centennial commemoration of the professorship of Charles Hodge


 

1874

Interior of Miller Chapel renovated


 

1876

Stuart Hall given by Robert L. and Alexander Stuart to provide additional classroom and meeting space for the Seminary. John Cleve Green, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1853 until his death in 1875, and financial agent from 1856 until 1867, bequeaths $200,000 to the Seminary, partly to repair and improve Alexander Hall.


 

1878

Charles Hodge dies. L.P. Stone Lectures begun. Richard Salter Storrs gives first lecture, “St. Bernard and His Times.”


 

1879

A second library building donated by James Lenox, usually referred to as “New Lenox,” but sometimes as “The Brewery,” as its red brick construction reminded students of brewery buildings of the period


 

1892

Students’ Lectureship on Missions begun. The first lecturer, James S. Dennis, speaks on “Foreign Missions after a Century.”


 

1893

Funds for Hodge Hall bequeathed by Mary Stuart, widow of Robert L. Stuart


 

1896

Celebration honoring William Green’s 50 years of teaching at Princeton Theological Seminary


 

1898

Abraham Kuyper delivers his Stone Lectures on Calvinism


 

1902

Francis Landey Patton chosen as first president of Princeton Theological Seminary. Springdale purchased and renovated as a home for the president of the Seminary.


 

1908

New coal-fired electric and heating plant erected


 

 For a short narrative history of Princeton Theological Seminary, as well as portraits, historic photographs, and writings by early Princeton Seminary authors, see the Special Collections website: http://digital.library.ptsem.edu.>